Sicily Bike Routes project was supported by european assets for subsidising of touristic activities, itineraries creation and area enhancement.
Thanks to this funds, 4 rural itineraries have been created.
Every route includes and promotes:
- local farms, farmhouses and overnight stays in rural areas;
- natural places, part of nature reserve, State forestry areas and preserved country-side;
- centuries-old trees ( carob and olive trees) protected by the the State Forestry corps;
- rural culture sites;
To link sites at the best way, we chose roads and paths as:
- paved and un-paved trails, single tracks going through nature reserves and areas protected by the the State Forestry corps;
- private rural paths going through lands owned by farmers that link ancient farms and noble country-estates nowadays converted in organic farms, farm-houses and country resorts;
- ancient pedestrians and mule paths, unpaved roads, ancient trails used by herds all part of a centuries-old mobility net. Our aim is to promote this “heritage” because of its historic and cultural values;
- state and district back-roads. Because faraway from main routes, they are ideal for safe rides and for connecting the “Sicily Bike Routes P.O.I. (nature, culture and farming places) you’ll find along the itineraries and routes.
Along itineraries members might visit local farms and farm- houses linked to the association for promoting touristic services. These partners offer overnight stays, local products selling and their tastings.